The End
For this last edition, the wayback machine needs to go to August 25 through August 29, 2005.
August 25 - Thursday
I woke up extremely hungover and STARVING. As you can remember, M and I went to a bar the night before and drank a little too much. And I hadn't eaten. So waking up this Thursday morning was not fun.
I had the day off, so I dragged myself out of bed and headed to the nearest fast food place for something greasy (I had found during my college drinking days that, for me, greasy food eased a hangover). I ate and fell back asleep. I needed to prepare for a meeting with the producer of a fashion show at 6pm that night.
Side note: Back in the day, when I had the drive and creativity, I used to design clothes for fashion shows. I was in 4 shows during college, and did 2 after I graduated.
When I woke up later that afternoon, I found that I had a missed call from M. He had left a message saying he wanted to hang out that night. As much as I wanted to, I found it odd that he wanted to as well - he was dating someone........but not seriously, he claimed. I called him back and we chatted for a bit (he was hungover too, but had to work on a roof all day, ick), and I agreed to come to his apartment and watch a movie after I had my meeting. Low key, nothing big, and again, just as friends. Although, something in my gut told me it may be "more than friends".
I got all dolled up for my meeting - super cute outfit and heels. (As a designer, you need to look the part, otherwise no one takes you seriously). The meeting was held at the actual venue for the show - Icon Restaurant in midtown Sacramento (the place is no longer open). I met with the producer and the other designers for about an hour, going over details of the show that was taking place Labor Day weekend.
After the meeting, I headed to M's apartment in Elk Grove. I felt kinda silly going over there, knowing I would meet his roommate and see his brother (who lived there too) all dressed up, like I was trying to hard. Oh well.
I arrived shortly before 8pm. M answered the door and let me in. His brother was sitting in the living room and got up to say hi. I knew his brother from high school - he's two years younger, but we were on the track team for a season together and ran the same events (100 and 300 hurdles). We chatted for a minute, then M took me back to his room to watch the movie.
I can't even remember what we watched, honestly. I was too nervous and felt almost guilty that I was there - he was dating someone, but I was becoming interested in him, but I felt like I shouldn't be interested because I had just been burned BADLY by someone I thought I would marry.
Without going into too much detail, one thing led to another, and I ended up spending the night. Let me add - this was COMPLETELY UNINTENTIONAL. Believe me. I'm not that kind of girl. Really. Mom, if you're reading this, I'm sorry.
August 26 - Friday
We woke up around 7am. M had to get to work by 7:30. He walked me to the door, gave me a kiss, and sent me on my way.
I got in the car and my mind was racing - what the hell was happening? I felt guilty because he was seeing someone, I was mad at myself for becoming interested in someone when I knew I shouldn't be, and felt REALLY guilty for staying the night. I don't do that sort of thing.
I got back to my house and went back to bed for an hour or so. I was closing at work that night, so I needed some more rest. I got up around 10am and started getting ready for work.
Went to work, but couldn't stop thinking about him.....what was I going to do? I didn't want to continue to feel guilty about being the "other woman" (that was REALLY bugging me, considering why I was dumped by Z). So I decided that I wouldn't see him again until/if it was over with that Bay Area chick.
Got off work around 10pm, and saw I had a missed call from him. His message was that he was just saying hi, hoped I had a good day, and to call him when I got off work. So I did. We chatted for a minute about our days. He said he wanted me to see him again, so I told him what my decision was - I felt uncomfortable about seeing him while he was dating someone else, and didn't want to hang out until he either broke it off with her or decided he wanted her and not me.To my surprise - he had already broken it off with her. Sometime that day, actually. Wow, he must really like me to already break it off with a girl he'd been seeing for a few weeks after hanging out with me twice. I will admit that I felt triumphant and a teensy bit smug - hahaha, I got him. :-)
He was hanging out with friends that night and Saturday night, but asked if we could hang out Sunday. I agreed and told him to call me Sunday morning to figure out what to do.
August 28 - Sunday
Today was a rare day - I had to work. I usually took Sundays off, but for some reason, I was working this one. I opened, so I'd be off by 5pm.
M called that morning. He asked me to come over to his parent's house for dinner that night. The family gets together for dinner every Sunday, and he wanted me to come. I agreed.
Usually girls get nervous about meeting the parents, but not me. I had already met them years ago, back when M and I were friends in high school. But I was a little nervous, as I hadn't seen them since then. I wondered if they'd remember me............turns out I was worried for nothing. His parents were exactly as I remembered - warm and open. We played Texas Hold 'Em (for money) before eating a delicious dinner. M's brother was there, and I got to meet his girlfriend (now wife). It was a fun night, and I felt totally comfortable with his family.
We parted ways that night, as I had to work early the next morning. He walked me out to my car and gave me a kiss. I told him I'd call him when I got off work the next day. I remember being giddy, super happy, and thinking "This is it. This is the One." I also remember thinking that I was insane, that I shouldn't get involved so quickly, but I couldn't help it. Something was there, something unexplainable, and I just knew he was perfect for me.
August 29 - Monday
I worked at 9am this morning. I was on cloud nine, after enjoying a great night with M and his family. And I was still trying to talk myself out of falling for him so quickly - I was terrified that I would get hurt again. But I just couldn't help it......I already felt like I was falling for him. Yes, after 5 days. Crazy, right?
I called my DM that morning and told her I needed to talk. If you've been reading this series of posts, you'll remember that I was going to interview for a job in SoCal in early September. Well, I called my DM and told her that I changed my mind - that I wanted to stay in Sacramento, that I was not ready to move. She was okay with my decision, but requested I speak to the department director myself (the person that I was interviewing with). I gave her a call too, and explained that I had a compelling reason to stay in Sacramento for now. She sounded disappointed, but told me she understood.
I didn't bother to tell her my compelling reason to stay was a guy I had just re-met and was falling in love with.
With M firmly in my mind, Z was completely out of it. He had hurt me, but I was healing and moving on.
M and I hung out that night and I stayed the night again (sorry Mom). I wanted nothing more than to spend as much time with him as I could - he made me happy, made me laugh, and we had more in common than I ever thought.
We offically became a couple on September 17, 2005. We moved in together on July 2, 2006. We've had our ups and downs like anyone else, but I know in my heart that he's it. He's the one. He's the yin to my yang, the cheese to my macaroni, the jelly to my peanut butter. He understands me like no one else; he gets me and my wacky sense of humor; he doesn't comment on my outfits even if they're a little strange; he appreciates me for me. I don't have to pretend, I don't have to try with him.
Someday we will get married. Someday we'll buy a house. Maybe we'll have a kid. For now, we're content. We're happy.
Love always happens when you least expect it, and it definitely happens when you're not looking for it. I love you, BF!
Yay! I love it! Great story, and even better that it's true. I've been thinking of doing something similar with P's and my story, but it seems daunting. I think you did a great job putting everything together.
ReplyDeleteYay, I'm glad I finally got to read the end to your beginning. What a great story! G and I found each other when we weren't looking, either - great things come when you don't expect them. :)
ReplyDeleteKATIE! that was sucha cute story :) thank you for sharing, darlin' :) i even got a little teary eyed - i'm too damn emotional. oh, and i totally understand with the whole "he doesn't say anything about my outfits even if they're strange" thing - hahaha. and yes darlin', i think that you find what you need when you're not even looking for it :) (that's what happened with my mike!) :)
ReplyDelete