Sunday, January 17, 2010

Construction Boy Meets Fashion Girl - Part 3 of 4

The Inital Contact

This time, the wayback machine needs to go to August of 2005, sort of where "Part 2" left off.

I was living in Rancho Cordova (suburb of Sacramento) with a roommate I met through AB (my employer). She was in school full time (even summer school) and worked part time, so she was never home. I worked full time and tried not to be home, as it made me think about my atrocious break-up with Z. I'd get angry and sad, so I kept busy to keep those feelings at bay.

During the end of that summer, I spent a lot of time at my parents house. I needed their love and support now more than ever, and just being home was enough for me. I'd go there on my days off and just lounge around, help clean and make dinner, and just enjoy my parents' company. I also spent a lot of time on the computer.

Warning - The BF is going to KILL me for revealing the real "how we met" story. KILL ME. If he reads this and you never hear from me again, you know what happened. But anyway.....

When I graduated college, I was told about this new thing called "myspace" online. I'd never heard of it, but my friends insisted that I get an account so we could keep in touch. So I signed up.

And promptly got addicted (as we all did I think).

My rented room didn't have internet access, so I used my parents computer when I was at home. I would spend HOURS on myspace, finding and lurking old friends from high school, sending messages, viewing pictures, you know, the usual myspace stuff. I was hooked. It was fun seeing what everyone was up to - it was a fabulous way to keep in touch with everyone!

(I have since moved on to Facebook. I still have my myspace account active, but only because I'm too lazy to save all my photos from myspace onto my computer hard drive.)

One August day (the 21st, to be exact), after enjoying dinner with the parentals, I went on myspace and had a message in my Inbox. No photo on the profile, and the name was "MICHAEL" (yes, all caps). The subject line was "holy shit don't know if u remember me or not???????" (yes, it's in quotes for a reason - that's a copy/paste of his subject line). I knew a lot of Michaels, so I was a little confused about who this was. The message went as follows:

remember me Michael M_____*. I just got on this thing and was checking it out. I know I don't have any pics on here yet, but write me back and let me know how ur doing. I know u remember who I am at least!!!!!!
*last name omitted to protect his privacy (as much as I can).


What's funny is looking back at this message, he still writes like that to this day. Lots of exclamation points and abbreviations. I think it's cute. :-)

Back to the story.

Of course I remembered him. If we get in the wayback machine and go WAY back to 1996, you would see that we hung out quite a bit that summer. I even have photos of us from freshman year and that following summer - we were darn cute back then. I'll have to post those sometime, as soon as I figure out how to use my scanner. He liked me during freshman year, but I wouldn't commit to being his girlfriend.....our friendship died when I began dating his friend sophomore year. We didn't speak after that.

So, anyway, after that short trip down memory lane, I get back to my story. AGAIN. But you needed to know that interesting story above, right?

I hit "reply" on his message and wrote him back. I don't remember exactly what I said, but it was along the lines of "heck yes I remember you, how've you been, whatcha been doing, etc.". The usual stuff. I do remember ending the message with "We should go get a drink sometime and catch up". I gave him my phone number too. But you know how things go with old friends - you say you will hang out, exchange numbers, and never call. I thought that's how this whole deal was going to go.

Not even 2 hours later my phone rang. It was a number that I didn't recognize. I didn't answer, not thinking it could have been him. Dang creditors were after me at the time too.....

Phone beeps. I have a message. I check it. It's him, leaving me his number and asking me to call him back. Wow, I guess he really did want to get in touch. I wanted old friends back in my life - another sense of comfort for me during my heartbreak.

I call him back a half-hour or so later. We chat for a bit about old times and what we've been doing and all that small talk stuff. At the end of the conversation, we made plans to hang out a few days later, to get that drink we discussed on our myspace message conversation. It was supposed to be a casual meeting of old friends to talk about old times........

....but that "date" would change my life forever............

To be continued..............

1 comment:

  1. This is fun :) I love how myspace played a part. Oh, the drama of myspace, lol! Thanks for giving me something interesting to read at 2am!

    ReplyDelete

Show me some love! :-)